Frequently Asked Questions

I hold a passport that is not listed with the countries that can obtain visa upon arrival at the airport in Kuwait. How do I obtain a visit visa?
All other nationals require a visa prior to arrival to Kuwait. You should have a contact person in Kuwait. Please contact the Embassy of Kuwait for further information.

Telephone: (202) 966-0702
Fax: (202) 364-2868

Can I convert currency upon arrival into Kuwait airport?
Yes, you can convert currency at the port of entry into Kuwait. Please refer to for further information.

Do they accept credit cards and debit cards in Kuwait?
All banks in Kuwait offer customers credit cards, cash and debit cards, which can be used at any branch of the same bank and, by arrangement, at other banks.

Do I need travel health plan insurance in Kuwait?
We recommend you make sure you are covered for healthcare at all times in Kuwait. Things may not work the same way as at home - get informed in case you get ill.

What is Kuwait's country code?
Full international direct dialing is available in Kuwait. The country code is +965. City/area codes are not required. There are two national GSM mobile telephone networks, which have active roaming agreements with most international mobile phone operators.

Changes to Cell Phones starting September 2008

National Mobile Telecommunications (Wataniya) and Zain numbers changed to have eight, rather than the current seven, digits.

The first stage begins with the addition of the number NINE to Zain's mobile phone lines (numbers that begin with 9, 4,702, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, and 79).

Adding SIX to Wataniya's mobile phone lines (numbers that begin with 5, 6, 70, and 77).

Can I obtain a transit visa?
Kuwait does not issue any transit visa. Instead you will be issued a visit visa. The visa is for one visit and one entry.

Do children need to obtain a police clearance?
Kids twelve years of age or younger do not require a police clearance.

What is the dress code in Kuwait?
Dress modestly.

When I send document for legalization or my passport to whom do I address it to?
No. Documents have to be legalized personally.

Can I take my pet with me to Kuwait and what is the procedure?
Kuwait requires that you have a licensed veterinarian complete a veterinary certificate stating that the pet is healthy to travel, free of parasites and free of diseases communicable to humans. Up-to-date vaccinations are a requirement. Your pet, for instance, a cat or a dog, must be vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days prior to travel and not more than 12 months prior to travel. An import permit is required from the Animal Health department. The permit is valid for a month from date of issue. You can contact Agriculture Affairs and Fish Resources (Animal Health Department) 473-0867 or fax: 4722417. Kuwait requires that the veterinary certificate be signed and dated not more than 30 days before travel. The closer you have it signed to the travel date the better.

I have a personal issue that I would like to address to the Embassy of Kuwait. How do I contact the right person at the Embassy?
All concerns, issues, requests or personal matters has to be addressed to the Embassy of Kuwait IN WRITING. You can fax your request to (202) 966-0517 or mail it to:

Embassy of the State of Kuwait
Attn: Consulate Department
2940 Tilden Street, NW
Washington DC 20008

Please include your name, address and phone number.

Can you give me information about Kuwait International Airport (KIA)?
Location: The airport is situated 10 miles (16km) from Kuwait City.
Time: GMT +3.
Contacts: Tel: +965 180.
Transfer to the city: Taxis and buses are available to take passengers to Kuwait City.
Car rental: A car rental desk is located in Arrivals and includes companies like Avis, Budget and Hertz.
Facilities: Two first-class lounges offer fax and Internet facilities (WIFI). A Commercial Centre Complex is linked directly to the Arrival and Departure halls of the airport terminal and includes facilities such as duty-free shopping as well as numerous other shopping opportunities and a variety of food and beverage outlets. Other services offered are banks, a help desk and facilities for the disabled.
Parking: Short and long-term parking facilities are available.
Departure tax: 2 dinars.

What is the electricity voltage in Kuwait?
Electricity: 240 volts, 50Hz. Both the UK-style three-pin and European-style two-pin plugs are in use.

What is Kuwait official language?
Arabic is the official language, but English is widely spoken and understood.